Re: [cdt-dev] Nokia version of GDB 7.2 for OS X and Eclipse

On Wednesday 16 November 2011 16:22:33 ext Michael Jackson wrote:
> I am going to go out on a limb and ask here because I am not sure where else to ask and I know there are Nokia folks on this list.

[I am. But possibly from the wrong side of the big pond.]

>    I use Eclipse for my Qt based Desktop apps in OS X. Debugging can be a pain due to the inability of OS X's version of gdb to "pretty print" the Qt variables, like QString. Gdb version 7 brings python based pretty printing which gdb can use to actually show nice variable values in the debugger. Ever once in a while I'll take a look at the state of NON-Apple gdb 7.x on OS X and there are always issues.
>    Then Someone posted here a similar problem and posted a link to Nokia's experimental version of gdb 7.2 which has the python support. This is supposed to be used with QtCreator. I would like to use it with eclipse. I did the naive thing and just replaced the current gdb with the gdb from Nokia's download site and tried to run Eclipse's debugging which resulted in a bunch of errors and the application NOT launching at all.
>   The first question is: Has anyone actually tried this combination in order to get better display of Qt based variables in Eclipse's debugger?
>   Hints/solutions/comments are always nice. OR just a "Nope still doesn't work. Don't waste your time" is even better.

[For the public record; we started already a private exchange on the matter]
FSF gdb (neither 7.2, nor current cvs) does currently not work well enough
on Mac to allow Qt Creator to switch to it. This is someone I'd really like to
do in order to drop the special Mac gdb support we have (including the
separate "pretty printing" there), but it was not feasible last time I tried
(a few weeks ago).

I'd honestly be surprised if the situation would be much different for Eclipse
as this was happening already even for simple breakpoint setting and single
stepping with no "complex" display or any python being involved at all.

I have seen several people claiming success with FSF gdb 7.2 on Mac, so it
appears there is at least a certain kind of projects that works. I wouldn't know
which, though. Medium size Qt projects do not seem to fall in that category.

Andre'

Back to the top