Re: [cdt-dev] CDT and GitHub (was: RE: Unit testing support for Eclipse CDT)

One way is to use "git filter-branch" to rewrite history to change committer. That will keep history of commits and conform to the policy. I think to work efficiently with git at Eclipse, egit needs to support that in UI.

Andrew

On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 11:32 AM, Schaefer, Doug <Doug.Schaefer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

At the end if the day, we probably still need to create a patch to attach to the IPzilla. We should be able to do that from the git command-line. Whoever applies the patch will appear as the committer. We’ll lose history while work was going on at github, but that’s part of the price we’re paying for the current IP policy towards git.

Doug.

From: cdt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:cdt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Andrew Gvozdev
Sent: Wednesday, August 31, 2011 11:28 AM

To: CDT General developers list.
Subject: Re: [cdt-dev] CDT and GitHub (was: RE: Unit testing support for Eclipse CDT)

On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 11:05 AM, Marc Khouzam <marc.khouzam@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Can you give an idea of the process to follow to collaborate on CDT via GitHub?
Here is what my initial impression is:

1- create GitHub account if you don't have one https://github.com/
2- probably setup ssh key on GitHub if not done already
3- on GitHub, one collaborator creates a clone of https://github.com/eclipse/cdt
  This existing clone is automatically being mirrored on eclipse.org.
  This new clone will be the repo that all collaborators will pull from and push to.
  Let's call it MyClonedCDT
4- each collaborator clones the new MyClonedCDT from GitHub on their own machine
5- as collaboration progresses, the collaborators push and pull from MyCloneCDT
6- once in a while (as often as desired) MyClonedCDT pulls (manually) from
  https://github.com/eclipse/cdt to get the changes coming from eclipse.org
7- once the work is ready to be contributed, how will we create a patch of changes?

You can setup 2 remote repo on your local repository, github and regular cdt remotes. After that you can merge or cherrypick github changes to cdt master. But you need to ensure that committer for each commit is CDT committer due to eclipse policy, I am not sure what is the best way to do that.

Andrew

Is this somewhat correct?

Thanks

Marc