[cdt-dev] HelpInfo / ICHelpProvider

Hello everyone,

I have a proprietary database (an XML file) that resides in each CDT project I am working on. This XML file describes the various functions and their parameters in the project.
I can easily convert this XML file to the schema used by the CDT help system, however the problem with the CDT help system (provided by the HelpInfo extension point) only looks for 'books' in the plugin's directory, and looking at the source of CHelpProvider.java I do not see how I can overcome this.

Since the documentation varies between projects, I need the documentation book file to reside as part of the project and not as part of my plugin.

In an attempt to overcome this I have implemented my own help provider, and got it to work. However this isn't much help as I need to provide a complete implementation. Such implementation requires me to implement logic already provided by CDT's CHelpProvider (such as the IFunctionSummary getPrototype method).
In addition, even had I bothered to copy the CDT implementation and edit it to my needs, the user will see 2 completion proposals: one provided by CDT with no documentation and one provided by my own, with documentation.
I will then have to somehow disable CDT's HelpProvider and always keep my code in sync with the latest CDT changes - not a very systematic approach.

Am I missing something here, or should CHelpProvider implementation be changed to allow project-specific help book providers?

Many thanks and if there are any more details that can help shed light on this manner, please do not hesitate to request them.

Best regards,
Eran Rundstein

Back to the top