Re: [cdt-dev] Egit and older Eclipses

I regularly use the PDE Target Platform feature to build against older releases, including all the way back to 3.5. Works great. No need to use an older Eclipse for that.

Doug.

From: cdt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:cdt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Chris Recoskie
Sent: Thursday, June 23, 2011 11:34 AM
To: CDT General developers list.
Subject: [cdt-dev] Egit and older Eclipses

I was just thinking...

We are still building products on CDT 7.0.x with Eclipse 3.6. Will eGit 1.0 work with Eclipse 3.6? I'm guessing no...

We might then be in the sticky situation of trying to build the old CDT sources with an Indigo Eclipse. Mostly this would be OKif we point PDE at the right target platform (i.e. the older Eclipse), but I know from experience there have been some issues from time to time with what the Eclipse Java compiler, PDE builder, and API tooling will and will not throw errors on when you are compiling sources, and that has typically meant you need to build CDT with the same Eclipse version that CDT is targeted at. This might leave us in a state where we have a hard time working with the older releases.

Before we nuke CVS entirely I'd like to check and make sure we can still operate on the older releases with Git. It might or might not mean making some changes on the 7.0.x branch to make everything build with Indigo as the build environment, and then making Indigo the official build environment for CDT 7.0.x

I will let you know what we find out. We'll be trying this out more or less right away once Git is live.

Chris Recoskie
Team Lead, IBM CDT and RDT
IBM Toronto

Back to the top