Re: [cdt-dev] Creating a patch with Git

Thanks, James. These are great points. But let me highlight what I said. I didn’t say cancel, but delay until EGit is usable. I’ve managed to get it in a state a couple of times now where I’ve had to delete and reclone the repo to get out of it. I want to make sure all of our mandatory workflows are working and I can’t say that they are right now. But these are hopefully things the EGit team can probably fix in a couple of weeks, or we can find workarounds for (which do not require dropping to the command-line which not everyone has access to). I’ve been in a situation where SVN was pushed on us before the plug-ins were near ready and I don’t want to see the same thing again.

Again, the assessment continues and hopefully by Monday we can get everything working.

Doug.

From: cdt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:cdt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of James Blackburn
Sent: Thursday, June 16, 2011 4:18 PM
To: CDT General developers list.
Subject: Re: [cdt-dev] Creating a patch with Git

On 16 June 2011 21:05, Schaefer, Doug <Doug.Schaefer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Speaking of which, I’m very close to waving off the conversion until we get some of these issues address. The big one for me is performance. I get UI lockups quite regularly as Egit struggles to deal with the size of our project. I’m going to keep testing for the rest of this week and we can make a final call on Monday. In the meantime, please raise bugs on anything you see and copy me on them.

I think we should be pragmatic about the migration.  egit is still very young, and they're fixing bugs and adding features at an amazing rate.  Other eclipse projects have migrated to git without too much pain, and while they're not as big as us, there haven't been big upsets.  Also importantly the platform are in the process of migrating too with a similar time scale to us.

CDT is unique in having such a diverse set of committers and an even larger group of downstream distributors/re-packagers.  Moving to git isn't just about our committer workflow, it for the community at large.  IMO the people _least_ affected by this change will be the committers, who already have write access to the blessed eclipse repo.  Everyone else on the other hand, has to struggle with brittle forks of the CVS repo., and spend weeks merging at major releases -- I know as I was there once!  By moving to git we help the downstream CDT community write code on top of CDT and hopefully make it easier for them to stay current and contribute back.

From where I stand egit isn't perfect, but it's rough edges shouldn't necessarily be a road-block for a move.

Cheers,

James

Back to the top