From: cdt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:cdt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Pawel Piech
Sent: Friday, June 03, 2011 9:35 AM
To: cdt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [cdt-dev] DSF Table View for Embedded Debugging.

On 05/27/2011 05:21 AM, Rejeesh S. Babu wrote:

Hi Powel,

Thanks for updating me on the latest developments and progresses happening with DSF-GDB.

Going through your comments, I get the impression that I should move on to flexible hierarchy viewer for table view as well. Till date, I assume that flexible hierarchy viewer was implemented for Tree Viewer alone and by some work around (Tree nodes with no children, but with attributes will do) , we could implement table view as well. Could you please comment on this?

I'm not sure about your particular need, but in general yes, pretty much all debugger views use the flexible hierarchy viewer.  The flexible hierarchy viewer with no children does look exactly like a table (it's a table-tree view) so there's not much difference there.

Now sticking on to my method(Slow/Lazy content provider),is there any disadvantage if I continue following the white paper and use the examples you dug out for me? By disadvantages, I mean any performance hindrance or any API usage issues(deprecations) in future CDT (CDT 8.0) releases?

No, there's no disatvantage in writing your own table viewer except that it's more work.  The flexible hierarchy viewer has been extended to support all kinds of features, but it really depends on your need.  There actually is a tutorial that was written after the white paper, which is probably more helpful as an introduction: http://www.eclipsecon.org/2008/?page=sub/&id=43.

P.S: Of the two basic patterns in Coalescing, what exactly I need is local cache. i.e. my debugger back end provides an interface for retrieving data in large chunks ONLY.  So when the service implementation receives a request for a single item, I want to retrieve whole chunk of data, return the single item, and stores the rest of the data in a local cache.\

I suggest you look at cache implentations GDB integration, specifically the memory service.  I also started experimenting with new cache implementations last year but I didn't get to the point where I could apply them.  See org.eclipse.dsf.concurrent: ICache, AbstractCache, RangeCache.

Cheers,
Pawel

Regards,
Rejeesh.