From: cdt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [cdt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Achim Bursian [abu.aud@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: May 27, 2011 4:29 AM
To: CDT Dev Mailinglist
Subject: [cdt-dev] Update CDT installation after small patch - how?

Hi everybody,
maybe this is a very dumb question, but:
I currently have the need to patch the org.eclipse.cdt.ui plugin (only
one line added), and deploy that patched jar file to a shared
installation which is used by more than 100 developers.

If I do not change anything in the plugin.xml, that works fine, and my
patch is active if I replace the original file. But I would like to
change the build date in the version string. If I touch the version
string (if that matters, this is still 5.1.1.200909110608, and I changed
it to 5.1.1.201105261000) the build process still runs fine, but the
plugin does not get loaded during Eclipse startup. Don't know why.

I already learned that the setup for a complete CDT build is far from
trivial, but that's not what I need. Is there any way to simply change
the version string and have the plugin being picked up? That way, I
could deploy it to the dropins area, which would make the handling much
easier.

Thanks for help
  Achim