Re: [cdt-dev] CDT/Git

On 10 May 2011 14:41, Alex Blewitt <alex.blewitt@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
When you talk about deleting, you are really talking about running git filter-branch, right?

For 'Old' I was proposing to just delete before the import.

What are you planning on doing for older releases where the tag includes (say) c99 but which is now removed? Unless you remove that tag or filter branch, the space won't be reclaimed.

Maybe it's worth proposing an archive of the full, full history, but do a filter-branch to remove all cruft (both current and historic) to keep history of just the golden bundles.

I'm not sure what the answer is. If the history is reachable, then it takes up space.
It also messes up tags: anytime the whole repo isn't tagged, the import needs to create a fix-up commit on a branch, deleting the non-tagged stuff, and apply tag the commit which contains just the tagged content.

As it happens c99 hasn't been touched since 2007.

I suspect people aren't going to build anything but head from the git repo.  There is a concern that people might want to look at old history after CVS is switched off.  So perhaps we can create two git repos:
  - main repo: Don't import stuff that isn't built on HEAD today
  - old repo: Contains everything that wasn't imported into main repo.

Cheers,
James

Back to the top