Re: [cdt-dev] The great git migration 2011

On 10 May 2011, at 09:50, James Blackburn <jamesblackburn@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

2) Repository partitioning:

There seems to be some consensus that a single CDT repository (at least initially) is preferable to a split repo.

I think it makes sense. Yes, a single repository makes it easier and at 150Mb or so isn't the end of the world. Plus you only need to do it once :-)

Those who just want to peek at the source can do a shallow clone anyway.  (git clone --depth 1 will effectively lose history; it also means you won't be able to push back to the repository as well)

At a later date we can carve out portions of the repository into separate smaller repositories preserving history.

Makes sense; git filter-branch is easy to do on clones.

I'm assuming that there's no inadvertently committed binaries etc? Is it worth doing a scan of the repo for known extensions (exe, tar, o, PDF?) to check for content that shouldn't be there?

3) Deleting 'Old' (forever!):

There's old content in the repository which isn't built, tested, nor tagged. Some of this content may have moved to other repositories (e.g. linuxtools / mylyn).  We propose to not include this content in the conversion.  The bundles involved are:
Including plugins for:
  Mylyn, cppunit, oprofile, rpm, ffs, android, msw, csharp, pdom

Makes sense to me.

Alex

Back to the top