Re: [cdt-dev] Handling multi core in DSF Services.

Hi Aberr,

Thanks for the very clearly writting info.
I am very happy to hear you were able to re-use DSF-GDB
and extend it in an impressive way.  Nice work.

I have one question below.

So each DSF service, such as IBreakpoints, has one instance
for every gdb-core combination, which is the un-modified
DSF-GDB version of the service; and also, that same service
interface has one new MultiCore version, which is the one
that is being called from the UI.  Did I understand it right?

I assume you have multiple GDBControlDMContext, one for each
of your gdb-core combinations.  How do you originally create
all the different contexts for these different GDBs?

> The multicore service object manages the lifecycle of its
> internal child service objects. In this way, each launch has
> a single DSFSession object, and no patches to the UI / Core
> code are necessary. Only changes are that we cannot subclass
> GdbLaunch, and have to rewrite the ServicesLaunchSequence and
> FinalLaunchSequence to create the multicore service objects
> for each service interface, rather than the default gdb
> service objects.
>
> Example of client interaction with multicore service object:
> The ContainerVMNode queries for an object implementing
> IProcesses so that it can update the launch with child debug
> targets. In our case, it gets the multicore processes
> service. This service has a method
> getProcessesBeingDebugged(...) which has been overridden.
> This method ignores the incoming context object
> (ICommandControlDMContext) and instead, it queries all of its
> child services for containerDMCs. Thus, instead of returning
> a single containerDMC, this method now returns N
> containerDMCs for N gdb - core combinations.
>
> Another example:
> The multicore service object registered under MIRegisters
> service recieves a call to method getRegisterGroups(...).
> Here, the multicore object checks the passed context, and
> gets the corespecific service for that context from the
> service tracker. The call is then delegated to this child
> service object.
>
> Getting core specific services from the service tracker has
> been implemented using OSGI filters, by embedding the
> corename into the child service's properties and using the
> corename in the filter when querying for a child service.
>
> In this way, we were able to avoid patches to DSF - GDB and
> still support multiple backends in a single launch. This
> approach is not foolproof, since we are learning the
> framework as we go along. If anyone wants more specifics,
> please let me know.
>
> Any feedback on pros and cons of this would be greatly appreciated :).
>
> Thanks
> Abeer Bagul

Back to the top