From: cdt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:cdt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Mikhail Khodjaiants
Sent: Tuesday, October 12, 2010 12:05 PM
To: cdt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [cdt-dev] EDC and asynchronous operations

  Hi Eugene,

> If a client encounter an invalid cache item, it can choose:
>   1. Abort the transaction and return an error.
>   Or 2. Start data retrieval on the item, add the transaction to the
> wait list of the item, re-run the transaction when item state changes.
> Most clients choose #2.

Maybe I am missing something, but the following scenario is also an
option, isn't it?

1. The cache items are always "valid" for clients regardless of their
internal states. For instance, for a value request the corresponding
cache item always returns the "old" valid value.

2. A cache item can be marked (internally) as invalid. In this case an
internal update will be triggered by a client request. When the internal
update is completed, the cache notifies the clients of changes.

3. When a client receives a notification from the cache it reacts
accordingly (by requesting the new value, for instance).

Thanks,
Mikhail