Re: [cdt-dev] memory space DSF service

Well, I think you can display globals from multiple memory spaces today. The backend is asked for the set of global variables and their values, and there is nothing that requires the response to be restricted to one memory space. Of course, things can become problematic when doing things like displaying the address of the variable, or displaying memory based on a variable if the concept of memory spaces is not recognized at the upper layers.

The new interface I'm considering contributing would not necessarily help in that situation. It could be useful for CDT memory-space aware features down the road, but more importantly, DSF adopters dealing with memory spaces today probably need access to memory space characteristics, and my proposal would attempt to standardize that access.

John

At 05:35 AM 10/11/2010, Mike Wrighton wrote:
We need support for multiple address spaces at XMOS. Presumably this will tie into, for example, viewing global variables since the concept of a single, global address would no longer be valid?

Mike

On 8 October 2010 19:13, Chuong, Patrick <pchuong@xxxxxx> wrote:
Hi John,
I guess you already know that we (TI) need memory space support as well, and the things that mention below are also valuable to us.
Regards,
Patrick
-----Original Message-----
From: cdt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [ mailto:cdt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of John Cortell
Sent: Friday, October 08, 2010 11:47 AM
To: CDT General developers list.
Subject: [cdt-dev] memory space DSF service
I wanted to poll the CDT debugger community to see whether others
have a need for a DSF service that provides information on a memory
space. In 7.0, I added to DSF the ability to gather the available
spaces from a memory context (see IMemorySpaceDMContext). Currently,
this is used by the memory views.
In our commercial product, we need to go further and get information
on a space, e.g., is it code or data, what's its range, what is the
addressable size of the memory. Now, there are no features currently
in CDT that would use such a service, but I suspect many of you are
dealing with targets that have memory spaces and either have
home-grown variants or will eventually need such a service. Please
speak up if so. If there's enough interest, I'll open a bugzilla
report to add the interface and we can hammer out the specifics there.
John