Re: [cdt-dev] Multi-core Working Group

On 10/05/2010 12:07 PM, Alexiev, Dobrin wrote:

My comments in-lined:

Thanks

Dobrin

-----Original Message-----
From: cdt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:cdt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Pawel Piech
Sent: Tuesday, October 05, 2010 1:57 PM
To: CDT General developers list.
Subject: Re: [cdt-dev] Multi-core Working Group

<snip>

>> Dobrin:

The part that goes into platform, I got that.

But I don’t quite get how do we deal with DSF and non DSF and still rely on flexible.

May be you can explain there more…

Standard Debug Model also had adapters written for the flexible hierarchy API.  These adapters have issues especially wrt. extensibility.  I think it should be possible to write a better framework from which standard model as well as DSF adapters could be derived from.

What I would really like to see is an improvement on flexible hierarchy

APIs and on DSF's View Model and I would like to pull some of the ideas

from Eugene's TCF UI integration as well as things I've learned while

working with Patrick on the Breakpoints view integration.  The difficult

part is that a complete debugger UI integration has a lot of

requirements.  Some of these requirements are obvious (e.g. content of

labels, etc.),  but others are much more subtle (e.g. the need to

retrieve data from services in blocks).  Blindly rewriting this UI

integration is guaranteed to generate a lot of regressions.

Therefore, IMO a pre-requisite to any major redesign should be to write

unit tests that verify the operation of the views.  I've been slowly

working towards this goal by creating a framework and tools to test view

operation, but at my current pace I doubt I'll get there alone any time

soon.  If we get good test coverage we should be able to collaboratively

and safely evolve the UI integration into something more general that

then could be pushed into platform.  Then we could more easily ask for

UI features in platform that improve multi-core debugging workflows for

everyone.

>> Dobrin:

Pawel, can you explain more what level of testing you are referring to?

Is it some kind of UI test tool, something generic, or tailored more toward flexible views?

I believe in unit tests which test a component in an isolation.  So if we're going to write tests to validate DSF view integration, I think we'll need to write some service stubs, then drive the view and validate that data in the view is correct.  I did something like this recently when I refactored the formatted values utility.  The new tests are in org.eclipse.cdt.tests.dsf plugin in org.eclipse.cdt.tests.dsf.vm.FormattedValueTests.

Also, in the past there was talk about pushing down the flexible viewers to JFace?

Is this something that may happen in the future, Eclipse 4 may be?

It will happen if we make it happen.  Having flexible hierarchy APIs be provisional for so long has been a major difficulty.  It also means that in practice this API is not so provisional anymore because so many people rely on it (just like Google mail has been a "beta" product till very recently even though millions of people have been using it).  Also, I don't think really E4 is going to have much impact on Debug.

-Pawel

Cheers,

Pawel