Re: [cdt-dev] CDT Helios SR1 available

Hi Doug,

As I tried to update to SR1, I encounter major problems on updating (actually not CDT but the rest of all eclipse and plugins).

So, after trying over almost the whole weekend now with not much success, I'm ready for a rant on Eclipse, P2, quality of top projects and the versioning.
I just don't know, where to do it, that it reaches the right persons. Partly, this involves also CDT, as you also use the versioning scheme using

Currently, after donwloading the Eclipse SR1 classic (because updating did not work), I'm still facing Modeling Tools.

As a longterm Eclipse/CDT user (since about 2002), I was actually impressed by the features it got over the time.
But the worst thing that I ever encountered was the introduction of P2. Before that, it was easy to pick up a zip file, and extract it into the eclipse folder.
Now, most only provide update sites to download, or just links to update sites to use P2.
But as you can see from the log below, it is just a mess, and can not even pick the latest version to install.
Even worse, there are three versions to choose from, with different versions.
What is so hard for P2 to choose the latest. What is the reason to have a download zip file of an update site, which is
1.1.1v201009150234  and then provide a 1.1.1.v201009150438 over the UpdateManager, and P2 can not decide to use the latest?

Do the Eclipse Developers, the teams of like CDT or Platform or MDT or ... actually try out such scenarios?
Do they never encounter such strange things? Why is it just the user getting these problems?

And what we also never do is, to rely on a feature that is not very well tested out, and P2 looks very much like such a feature.

What is going on in Eclipse? Why is it that complicated? What is up with the quality of Eclipse releases?

Doug, you as the CDT project lead maybe have good contacts to the Eclipse teams, and maybe can forward that to the right persons.
But, when I think about this lost weekend, and if I think about my colleagues that would encounter that, we probably would very soon look for something else to work with. For this weekend, I'm pretty much pissed of, since I got nothing done with a Helios SR1 release!

Here is a log from the Install Dialog:
Your original request has been modified.
  "EMF Compare" is already installed, so an update will be performed instead.
Cannot complete the install because of a conflicting dependency.
  Software being installed: EMF Compare 1.1.1.v201009150438 (org.eclipse.emf.compare.feature.group 1.1.1.v201009150438)
  Software currently installed: EMF Compare All plugins 1.1.1.v201009150234 (org.eclipse.emf.compare.all.feature.group 1.1.1.v201009150234)
  Only one of the following can be installed at once:
    EMF Compare UI 1.1.0.v201006150400 (org.eclipse.emf.compare.ui 1.1.0.v201006150400)
    EMF Compare UI 1.1.1.v201009150438 (org.eclipse.emf.compare.ui 1.1.1.v201009150438)
    EMF Compare UI 1.1.1.v201009150234 (org.eclipse.emf.compare.ui 1.1.1.v201009150234)
  Cannot satisfy dependency: