RE: [cdt-dev] move to line?

If the design intension of “Move to Line” is not to continue after moving the instruction pointer, then we may have a bug in the “org.eclipse.cdt.debug.mi.core.cdi.model.Targe.moveInstructionPointer()” method that it sends a CLIJump which causes gdb to continue.

Both “Resume at Line” and “Move at Line” send a CLIJump that’s why they behave the same now.

From: cdt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:cdt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of kirk.beitz@xxxxxxxxx
Sent: Thursday, August 05, 2010 11:49 AM
To: elaskavaia.cdt@xxxxxxxxx; cdt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [cdt-dev] move to line?

"Run To Line" has the effect of (and is probably implemented mostly by)

a] leaving the instruction pointer where it is

b] setting a temp breakpoint at the point where "Run to Line" was invoked

c] performing a continue (a la F8)

d] removing the temorary breakpoint at the end of the when any event occurs

i.e. if you run to line and a breakpoint is in the way, that breakpoint will be hit.

"Resume at Line" has the effect of:

a] setting the register of the instruction pointer to the address at the line where invoked

b] performing a continue (a la F8)

"Move to Line" is essectially just [a] of "Resume at line" with no continue.

my sense is the icons were changed because the iconography better represents the above distinctions.  notice the "tail" on the "Resume at line" icon, indicating movement away, versus the "full stop" at the bottom of the "Move to line" icon.

++ kirk