Re: [cdt-dev] best practices for managing a custom eclipse/CDT build in a C++ development organization

On 5 August 2010 18:32, Andrew Overholt <overholt@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Sounds like a good discussion to have on p2-dev. I do know Red Hat has
> similar requirements in their distro,

Yup, and we currently use dropins just like James does.

Pascal has said dropins are deprecated (no user feedback when things go wrong, not the p2 way, etc.). Given dropins uses p2 API to reconcile the changes into the configuration, I know that everything I want to do is possible using the p2 API.  There's just a functionality gap between what the p2 IApplications expose to admins and what would be required to support shared installs.  I guess given that dropins have worked so far, its quite a neat straightforward back door into p2.

James

Back to the top