Re: [cdt-dev] best practices for managing a custom eclipse/CDT build in a C++ development organization

A couple additions to Andrew's recipe.

- You can install CDT into the eclipse-platform-* builds if you don't want PDE, JDT etc.

Having built my top-level product, this generates the p2 metadata:
 .../3.6sdk/eclipse \
    -nosplash -consolelog -clean \
    -application org.eclipse.equinox.p2.metadata.generator.EclipseGenerator \
    -metadataRepository file:`pwd` -metadataRepositoryName "Update Site" \
    -artifactRepository file:`pwd` -artifactRepositoryName "CDT Artifacts" \
    -noDefaultIUs -source `pwd` -vmargs -Xmx256M | tee -a $LOG_PATH

Then install using p2.director.

Cheers,
James

On 3 August 2010 22:19, Andrew Overholt <overholt@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
* John Cortell <rat042@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> [2010-08-03 17:07]:
> My understanding is CDT distributions are now strictly p2 archives and
> thus require installation via the Update Manager. Anyone know how this
> could be done via a script?

Look on the Eclipse wiki for docs on the p2 director application.  This
can be used in scripts so you'd do something like:

- unzip SDK archive
- cd eclipse
- ./eclipse -application org.eclipse.equinox.p2.director <other flags
 giving it the CDT zip as a repository> -installIU org.eclipse.cdt.sdk
 (or whatever you want to install)

That'll install it into the Eclipse installation from where you're
running the director application.  You can also install into other
Eclipse installations but that's probably not what you want in this
case.

HTH,

Andrew