Re: [cdt-dev] Scanner Discovery in 7.0

Thanks, I expect to have something to post before the summit should you guys take a look at it there.

Andrew

On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 10:55 AM, Doug Schaefer <cdtdoug@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I'm working on at a higher level in the architecture, making sure we
can break the build into three parts:

1) build file generation (internal - i.e. managed build makefile
generator, or external - e.g. cmake, qmake)
2) running the builder (internal - i.e. managed build internal
builder, or external - e.g. make, scons, jam)
3) build output parsing when required (see below)

Scanner discovery itself has two parts:

1) build output parsing as I mentioned above which extracts compile
commands from the build output
2) scanner info provider which determines what the scanner info for a
given file based on the compile command used to build that file. That
command can come from the data collected by the build output parser,
or from managed build data, or elsewhere.

I have no pre-conception on how that plugs into the project model and
maybe that's where your design comes in. But as long as integrators
can extend build output parsing to cover the syntax of their compiler
options, and separately extend the scanner info provider to do the
translation from command line to scanner info, I'm happy.

At any rate, this is definitely on the agenda for the summit.