Re: [cdt-dev] Build console location

On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 7:28 PM, <Warren.Paul@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I tend to agree with Doug on this one.  I’m not saying that moving it would necessarily break any existing products, but it could.  All public access to the build console is currently all from cdt.core and cdt.ui AFAIK.  I haven’t looked at the patch,  but I’m assuming this change would introduce a new dependency from cdt.ui to cdt.make.ui?

No it won't. On the contrary, one of the reasons for moving is to avoid that dependency.

  Even if it somehow didn’t, you’re still forcing anyone using the build console to include the make plugins, which they currently don’t have to.  We use the makefile parser from make.core, but nothing from make.ui or the managedbuilder plugins.

Do you actually deploy your product with stripped down version of CDT, i.e. without cdt.make.ui and managedbuilder plugins?

Even if none of the above were an issue, I’d be concerned about the new proposed functionality.  It’s not very generic and won’t work with any builder, so I don’t think it should be added to the generic build console.  At least not without more checks in place.  For example, if the project in context has this build nature then show the new UI, otherwise hide it.

Just my $.02.

Your points are well taken, thanks for your response.

Andrew

Thanks,
Warren