Re: [cdt-dev] Qt Support?

On Jul 14, 2010, at 8:52 PM, Dave Korn wrote:

On 14/07/2010 22:31, Alex Blewitt wrote:
On 13 Jul 2010, at 16:02, Marc Khouzam wrote:

*sigh* and that is the solution that will probably be used. There is one single problem with that. Those pretty printers need GDB 7.x which
does not really work on OS X. So I am stuck with the Apple supplied
GDB.
Apparently, there has been some efforts by Tristan Gingold to make GDB 7.1 work on Mac. If someone wants to take the ball (I don't have a Mac) and see if it truly works, I believe we could have a very interesting
debugging solution for Mac.

FWIW GDB (and GCC) support on Mac will be dying out in the very near
future. The current shipping version of Xcode (3.2) uses the GCC 4.2
runtime as the system default, but with LLVM/Clang 1.5 (aka Clang-60
http://llvm.org/svn/llvm-project/cfe/tags/Apple/clang-60/) and LLVM/ Clang 2.0 (which probably will be based on LLVM 2.8) looks like it will be the
default for the next big release.

GDB is being replaced with LLDB http://lldb.llvm.org/ and though I imagine GCC 4.2 (with GDB 6.3) will stay on for a while, I doubt that Apple's GCC
will be updated again.

But regardless what Apple want to do with their toolchain, there's a whole bunch of volunteers just recently begun very actively working on upgrading upstream GCC and GDB to work well on darwin, so Apple's policy shouldn't necessarily guide Eclipse; it's very likely that in the next release or two,
FSF versions will be working well again on Apple hosts.

   cheers,
     DaveK

And there is always IDB from Intel which works _very_ well. Just need a bit of Eclipse/OS X integration. Wink Wink Intel.. ;-)

Mike Jackson

Back to the top