Re: [cdt-dev] Qt Support?

On 14/07/2010 22:31, Alex Blewitt wrote:
> On 13 Jul 2010, at 16:02, Marc Khouzam wrote:
>
>>> *sigh* and that is the solution that will probably be used. There is
>>> one single problem with that. Those pretty printers need GDB 7.x which
>>>  does not really work on OS X. So I am stuck with the Apple supplied
>>> GDB.
>> Apparently, there has been some efforts by Tristan Gingold to make GDB
>> 7.1 work on Mac.  If someone wants to take the ball (I don't have a Mac)
>> and see if it truly works, I believe we could have a very interesting
>> debugging solution for Mac.
>
> FWIW GDB (and GCC) support on Mac will be dying out in the very near
> future. The current shipping version of Xcode (3.2) uses the GCC 4.2
> runtime as the system default, but with LLVM/Clang 1.5 (aka Clang-60
> http://llvm.org/svn/llvm-project/cfe/tags/Apple/clang-60/) and LLVM/Clang
> 2.0 (which probably will be based on LLVM 2.8) looks like it will be the
> default for the next big release.
>
> GDB is being replaced with LLDB http://lldb.llvm.org/ and though I imagine
> GCC 4.2 (with GDB 6.3) will stay on for a while, I doubt that Apple's GCC
> will be updated again.

  But regardless what Apple want to do with their toolchain, there's a whole
bunch of volunteers just recently begun very actively working on upgrading
upstream GCC and GDB to work well on darwin, so Apple's policy shouldn't
necessarily guide Eclipse; it's very likely that in the next release or two,
FSF versions will be working well again on Apple hosts.

    cheers,
      DaveK

Back to the top