RE: [cdt-dev] [DSF] SessionType

From: cdt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:cdt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: July 8, 2010 1:21 PM
To: 'CDT General developers list.'
Subject: RE: [cdt-dev] [DSF] SessionType

During the development of DSF-GDB, DSF itself was modified as we learned
what was needed for a good integration.  The problems that arise now are
specific to DSF-GDB, because we never had to deal with specializing
DSF-GDB itself.

With the 'services' approach given by DSF, almost all aspects of DSF-GDB
can easily be changed.  But that requires replacing a DSF-GDB service
with a custom service.  Understandably, people instead want to re-use as
much of DSF-GDB as possible while still customizing it.
Although we don't want to push this re-use too far (at some point it's
normal that since it is not DSF-GDB, it just doesn't use some DSF-GDB
code), I think we can do some work to make DSF-GDB something that is
better built to be extended.

Doug is right that it would be good to take a step back and figure out
which cases should be improved and how to improve them in a sound
manner.

I've created (yet another) wiki to allow people to express their needs
for DSF-GDB extensibility.
http://wiki.eclipse.org/CDT/cdt-debug-dsf-gdb-extensibility
It is under the main wiki->Component Documentation-> DSF-GDB
extensibility

Marc

Back to the top