[cdt-dev] How to investigate "Too many open files" error?

Hi,

I already asked for advice on the Platform and CDT newsgroups to no avail,
so I think I have to bother you here. :-)

I'm using eclipse-cpp-helios-linux-gtk.tar.gz (and formerly
eclipse-cpp-galileo-SR2-linux-gtk.tar.gz) which (amongst others) contains
the Eclipse Platform, the C/C++ IDE and the Mylin components. I'm
experiencing "Too many open files" errors (details follow below) and I'm
looking for a way to investigate further. Since I cannot tell which
component creates the problem I'm seeking your advice here. If there is a
place more appropriate where to ask please direct me to it.

After running for a few days the java process - which is only used by
Eclipse - exhausts the allowed number of open files per process ('ulimit
-Hn', 8192). From that time on Eclipse is unable to sensibly 'work' much
longer and creates "Too many open files" errors in all components used.
Using 'lsof | grep java' (last line shown here)

  java 15330 ftheinen 8191r REG 0,3 0 8804280 /proc/15330/maps

shows that about 8000 of the open file descriptors are read accesses to
the process memory map file (lines differ in the file descriptor only).
Using 'lsof' from time to time shows that the number of file descriptors
increases steadily, maybe one or two per minute on average, until reaching
8191.

How can I systematically investigate which component is creating these
file descriptors (without having to do many time consuming experiments)?

Regards, Frank

Back to the top