Re: [cdt-dev] RE: API tooling for CDT 8.0 and CDT 7.0.1

Hi, Marc,

If you add new functionality in a maintenance release, then you may run into problems with the Eclipse Development Process.  Any release that introduces new function (not just bug fixes) is subject to the full release review procedure.  The reason why a maintenance release is exempt from review is that it is understood not to have new function, and therefor not to present any IP/legal liabilities.

I suppose there is grey area in refactoring of existing APIs that continue to provide the same function, but presenting a different API may be construed as new function in and of itself.  ;-)

And I suppose also that it's a numbers game:  how much of what kind of new stuff constitutes "new function."?

http://www.eclipse.org/projects/dev_process/development_process.php#6_4_Releases

Cheers,

Christian