Re: [cdt-dev] Git/Gerrit Proposal

On Jun 9, 2010, at 16:15, Michael Jackson wrote:

I am still new to git (even though I have used it for a year or so) but something I am seeing in a few other large-ish projects (ParaView and Boost) is the use of "submodules". Would that help with the organization/migration. I am trying to figure out how they can help my own workflows.

Submodules may help if you go from one Git repository to many (but they're not supported by EGit at the moment :-)

If you think of a Git repository as being a series of (recurisvely dependent) patches identified by an ID (e.g. CDT Core/UI could have E7- >F2->A3->D5, and CDT LLVM could have B3->H1->X6) then 'git submodule' support really acts as a parent Git repository which stores a pair of Git tags for their children (e.g. CDTCoreUI=A3, CDT LLVM=H1). When you do a commit in the parent, it records the current state of the submoudles.

Submodules are good for related but loosely coupled components; but I'd advise having tightly coupled components in the same repository (e.g. core/ui, test/test ui) for ease of refactoring.

<plug>Don't have any relation to the author, but the book "Pro Git" by Scott Chacon is absolutely wonderful for getting a complete git newbie up and running. It is open-source but if you can afford to support the author purchase it from your favorite book seller</plug>

I'd plug the author too - and it's also available as an ePub book for your handy iPad or other electronic device.

Alex

Back to the top