Re: [cdt-dev] git/gerrit

The Eclipse CVS Team functionality provides graphical merges. So while CVS doesn't itself do the merge, there's a tool on top of it that facilitates it.

As merge tools go it's decent. Not great, but decent.

The Git scenario still sounds a bit rough from what you all describe. At first blush it sounds like more pain than I'd want to endure, but I haven't used it, so my opinion is not entirely informed. Maybe one of the Git gurus like James or Doug could run a demo of it so the rest of us that haven't tried it yet could see what we'd be in for.

===========================
Chris Recoskie
Team Lead, IBM CDT and RDT
IBM Toronto

Inactive hide details for James Blackburn ---06/08/2010 04:21:48 PM---I almost regret mentioning merge now, perhaps it was a baJames Blackburn ---06/08/2010 04:21:48 PM---I almost regret mentioning merge now, perhaps it was a bad example as merging isn't something CVS su

James Blackburn <jamesblackburn@xxxxxxxxx>

06/08/2010 04:21 PM

Re: [cdt-dev] git/gerrit

Sent by:

cdt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

I almost regret mentioning merge now, perhaps it was a bad example as
merging isn't something CVS supports.

Alena it would be interesting to know how you currently merge in CVS?
The way I've done this in CVS, when back-porting patches to the stable
branch, is to use use the history view and manually re-apply the patch
to the branch.

I last used egit in 0.6 (and had issues with the hisotry view),
however I bet this is now much better. If these simple workflows work
then I really don't have an objection.

Perhaps we need a few bugs:
 - Investigate whether working on HEAD and the maintenance branch can
work using the existing egit tooling.
Alex as the local egit representative maybe you could fill us in on
the existing gotchas / pit-falls that might be a barrier?
  -  We need to work out the granularity of the git repos.  All of
CDT is hundreds of MB which I thought was a bit big... What do people
think?

Cheers,
James