Re: [cdt-dev] CDT 7.0 RC4 Candidate Available

On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 11:37 AM, John Cortell <rat042@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
At 10:08 AM 6/8/2010, Doug Schaefer wrote:
Agreed, but that is one of the roles of the component leads to be the "default" reviewer. And you can always ask other people.

That's news to me. That seems like an excessively onerous responsibility for a component lead. Leads are usually as overloaded as everyone else, if not more. Expecting them to implicitly take default review ownership of every patch that's submitted seems unreasonable and prone to negligence/oversight. And then, of course, what about patches the lead contributes? I think it's all a lot cleaner if the general rule is "you attach a patch, you commit, you ask for a review." Leaving it up to volunteering or implicit ownership is, again, no change from what we have today. Obviously, if that's what everyone wants, that's what we'll get. I'm not trying to push anything down anyone's throat. All I'm saying is if we want improvement, we can't keep the status quo, and what I'm hearing are arguments hinting that what we have in place is sufficient. I, too, was impressed with the code-review features in Gerrit demo'd at EclipseCON, but why tie and defer quality improvement initiatives to infrastructure changes down the road when they can be put in effect today? We don't even have a definitive plan for adopting Gerrit.

I think I've beaten this horse to death, and I don't want to start grating on anyones nerves. Requirements/mandates/processes are not everyone's cup of tea--especially in an open source environment. I've made all the points I've wanted to make.

I did say default with quotes around it. The lead's name shows up as QA lead on new bug. It's an obvious choice for "default". But they're "default" in the defacto sense, not in the responsible sense.

BTW, I'd go git/gerrit tomorrow, or maybe later today once I finish this test git-cvsimport run. I am only held back by the wishes of the committers.

:D

Back to the top