Re: [cdt-dev] CDT 7.0 RC4 Candidate Available

At 09:29 AM 6/8/2010, Doug Schaefer wrote:
On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 9:12 AM, Schorn, Markus < Markus.Schorn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,
I expect that I would have problems finding a reviewer for every
non trivial patch. Nevertheless I find it important to enable the
review by attaching a patch to a bug.

I think that's a pragmatic approach. Offer every checkin for review but with a timeout depending on the situation. We can always go back and undo changes if someone disagrees later.

It's true that putting a patch file on a bugzilla report is technically an open invitation for anyone to review the patch. But that alone is insufficient, IMO. There may be any number of committers who have the expertise to review the patch. Who will do so when none of them have been specifically asked to? All of them? That would be overkill and a waste of valuable resources. It's equally unreasonable to expect the pool of possible reviewers to take up a discussion amongst themselves to see which one should or can review the patch. The only practical approach, IMO, is for the creator of the patch to choose an individual to review the patch, and to officially do so via the bugzilla mechanism. The next step in that workflow is for the chosen person to either review the patch or to announce in the bugzilla report that he does not have the time to do so. That puts the ball back in the originator's court, and if there is no one else that is qualified to review the change, then oh well. At least the attempt was made. But if there is someone else, then ideally the originator will ask that second person for a review. If he gets the same response, that's the end of the road.

Ultimately, no fix should be held back during the normal development cycle because no one is willing to review the patch. That much I agree with. I'm just saying it's not sufficient to just post a patch and hope that someone will volunteer to do so. That's the process we have today for much of CDT, and if we want to improve the situation, then we need to improve the process.

John

Back to the top