Re: [cdt-dev] Making Save Build Console more straightforward

On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 9:52 AM, Doug Schaefer <cdtdoug@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Sounds like a better workflow to me. Does this mean we'll always save the build to a tmp file and you copy it over on save, or are you just saving the document which only contains the last so many lines of the build?

Yes, the idea is to save console output in temporary file in plugin working directory and copy it. You can control it in properties: disable or specify different temporary file location. There was a proposal to save the document but it didn't make it because of the reason you mentioned.

Andrew

On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 3:45 AM, Axel Müller <aegges@xxxxxx> wrote:

+1 (I am not a commiter but an active user)

To setup logging *before* the build is really awkward and people will forget it all the time. And when the build is finished they realize that the output cannot be saved.

  Axel

Von: Andrew Gvozdev <angvoz.dev@xxxxxxxxx>
Gesendet: 19.05.2010 04:22:22
An: "CDT General developers list." <cdt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Betreff: [cdt-dev] Making Save Build Console more straightforward

It is kind of late in build cycle but I think we gotta correct this. New "Save Build Console" feature added in bug 294106 is a wanted feature but it is implemented in an awkward way from user point of view. The current workflow requires user to setup logging in properties before build occurs. It is prone to accidental overwriting as new build will overwrite the old log silently.

My suggestion is attached to bug 306222. It changes "Save Build Console" to straightforward flow:
1. User runs builds
2. User spots interesting output and clicks "Save Output" button saving the build log in chosen file via file selection dialog.
Additional bonus that it will work with non-C projects (builders that not aware of CDT configurations).

I think we better include the change to 7.0 now before the users develop a habit.

Andrew

GRATIS: Movie-Flat mit über 300 Top-Videos. Für WEB.DE Nutzer
dauerhaft kostenlos! Jetzt freischalten unter http://movieflat.web.de