Re: [cdt-dev] MSVC (was Build Again) (OT)

On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 4:25 AM, Jesper Eskilson <jesper.eskilson@xxxxxx> wrote:
On 2010-04-28 15:25, Doug Schaefer wrote:

It wouldn't be that complicated. You'd probably do it the same way you
pass the list of object files to the linker.

No, because the linker ALWAYS receives ALL the objects files. The rule typically looks like this

foo.exe: $(OBJS)
        $(LINK) $^ -o $@

If you would do the same with the compiler, you would *always* compile *all* source files. Instead, compiler rules typically look something like this:

.c.h:

This will invoke "cl -c foo.c -o foo.o", once for each source file which is out of date. I cannot see how the /MP option allows cl to parallellize over all the source files it should compile.

This is getting too off-topic for CDT, so I'll stop here. Sorry if I'm not able to make myself clear.

No, it's on topic. How we handle this will make a difference on the MSVC integration.

We keep talking about nmake, but I imagine VS users will likely want to use CDT's managed build for their projects. Is this something managed build can take care of?

Back to the top