Re: [cdt-dev] MSVC (was Build Again)

On 2010-04-27 13:40, Axel Müller wrote:
On 2010-04-27 10:08, Axel Müller wrote:

The visual compiler itself can do parallel builds. You need to
add

the compiler flag /MP? (? is the number of parallel builds).

Yes, but that requires that all the source code you need to build
is

passed to cl.exe in one invokation, something the VS IDE can do,
but

makefiles typically don't. Maybe NMAKE has some special syntax to
handle

that case.
There is no special syntax. You just pass the additional compiler
flag to the compiler. We are using this at our company w/o any
problems.

But if cl.exe is only invoked with one source file at a time, how can it parallellize over all the source files? As I understand it, the /MP flag allows the compiler to parallellize over the source files it receives on the command line.

How does your NMAKE makefiles look which handles this?

--
/Jesper

Back to the top