[cdt-dev] Options for porting Objective-C/Cocoa apps to Windows

This might be of tangential interest to this group.

Alex

Sent to you via Google Reader

Options for porting Objective-C/Cocoa apps to Windows

There are a few different options for porting Objective-C/Cocoa applications to Windows. Each option has different advantages and offers different capabilities. In this post, I'll give an overview of some of these options, their advantages and disadvantages.

Introduction

In this post, I'll look at the options available for porting Objective-C/Cocoa applications to Windows. There are other ways of writing compiled programs that are designed to be portable across multiple platforms (Qt, WxWidgets, Java, pure command-line C, etc) and numerous virtualized environments that are inherently platform independent (Java, Mono, etc) but this is a Cocoa blog so I'm going to ignore all of these.

A warning: porting software from the Mac to Windows is tricky and this post is not intended to solve those tricky situations. If you decide to port an Objective-C program to another platform, expect to build a lot of software via the command-line, track down bugs in libraries you didn't write and handle weird and cryptic error messages at every stage. Keeping a common codebase across multiple platforms is good in the long-run but can actually be slower than a complete re-write to set up in the first place.

Recreating POSIX on Windows

Before I actually get to discussing porting Objective-C/Cocoa programs to Windows, I need to discuss the target environment. Specifically, the difficulty of getting the POSIX layer from the Mac to run on Windows.

Much of what is considered to be "standard C" on the Mac actually falls outside the minimalist standard C library and is part of the BSD system on the Mac. TCP/IP sockets, many file I/O calls, getting information about the current user; these are all traits of the BSD-derived POSIX layer on the Mac.

The first issue to solve when porting to Windows often involves looking at how to replace this BSD derived functionality. The short answer is that you normally need an API that will offer you POSIX-like behavior on Windows.

Generally, this involves one of two approaches: Cygwin or MinGW.

Cygwin

Cygwin is the better known of the two because it is intended as a user-environment. It aims to recreate a full POSIX system, with full POSIX compatibility on top of Windows. Many ports of X-Windows applications from *nix systems (Linux, UNIX, etc) to Windows run on top of Cygwin because it comes the closest to offering source-level compatibility with *nix systems.

However, Cygwin comes with a disadvantage: if you write your project using Cygwin, then your user must also have Cygwin installed. Cygwin is not really a way to write native Windows applications, it is a way to write native Cygwin applications (and Cygwin runs on top of Windows).

MinGW

The alternative to Cygwin is normally ...

Sent from my (new) iPhone

Back to the top