RE: [cdt-dev] Support for "target-detach" and "target-disconnect"

From: cdt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [cdt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Mikhail Khodjaiants [mikhailkhod@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: April 14, 2010 4:02 PM
To: cdt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [cdt-dev] Support for "target-detach" and  "target-disconnect"

On 14/04/2010 2:56 PM, Marc Khouzam wrote:
> > Maybe the same action can be used for both behaviors?  We would
> > base ourselves on the debug context.
> >
> > Currently, for DSF-GDB, the disconnect action does the following:
> > 1- If a process (or one if its threads or frames) is selected, the
> > action would do 'detach' of that process.  This is useful for
> > multi-process debugging.
> > 2- If the launch is selected we exit gdb altogether
> >
> > #2 is a duplication of what the terminate button does.
> > So, when the launch is selected, the terminate and disconnect
> > actions do the same thing.
> > How about making the disconnect action call 'disconnect' in this case?
> > Would that be enough for your use-case?
> >
> > Marc
>
> You still need a "detach" on the launch level, it will translate to
> "target-detach" without parameters.
> I would also prefer to use the same action but those who used to GDB
> commands would complain. In fact the original complaint was that we
> didn't support "detach" because it was hidden under the "Disconnect" action.

So what is the final proposal?
I'm asking because, as you know, DSF-GDB already uses the disconnect button
for 'detach' at the process, thread and frame levels, and I'm not convinced having
'disconnect' instead is a good idea for that context.

In multi-process, the user has the ability to freely attach and detach from processes.
There is a DSF-GDB 'connect' button on the toolbar and the 'disconnect' was its opposite.
I don't think attaching to a process with 'connect' and then pression 'disconnect' should kill
the debug session.

Marc

Back to the top