RE: [cdt-dev] common gdb plugin

Hmm… just my 2 cents, but might it be worthwhile to abstract the debugger interface just above GDB?  With an abstracted debugger interface, it could be possible to extend this to other debuggers (MSVC, custom debuggers, JTAG, etc.).  I’m all for the idea behind this; I simply want to see if it would make sense to add the interface – some sort of abstraction that would expose GDB’s functionality and could be extended as new capabilities are added.

-- Steve G. (still digging deeper into the guts of GDB*[CDI/DSF/EDC])

Subject: Re: [cdt-dev] common gdb plugin

Wanted to send this out before I make the additions to the repository, in case someone has an objection or recommendation. I'll be adding two new plugins:

   org.eclipse.cdt.gdb
   org.eclipse.cdt.gdb.ui

They are meant to house code/extensions/extension-points/whatever that is common between DSF-GDB and DSF-CDI for features and bug-fixes going forward.

As for what feature these new plugins will be part of...that's a tricky one. The fact that it's gdb-centric makes it inappropriate for org.eclipse.cdt.platform-feature. And creating a dedicated feature seems like overkill. So, I'm going to put it in the the DSF-GDB feature. It's not ideal, but I don't know that there is an ideal home for these plugins.

John

Back to the top