Re: [cdt-dev] common gdb plugin

debug.core and debug.ui should be places to put common pieces. The fact that CDI resides there is historical but not architecturally correct in our new world. It's probably not worth moving CDI into it's own plug-ins but we can pretend it is ;).

:D

On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 8:17 PM, Marc Khouzam <marc.khouzam@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Up to now, as you mention, cdt.debug and cdt.debug.ui were the plugins to share things.
I don't remember a blatent example of something that was GDB-specific that was shared between CDI and DSF,
but it was bound to happen.  I wonder how much other code will be in that situation?
I am a bit hesitant about having a shared plugin though, because DSF is evolving while CDI is 'retired';
having shared code will force us to test CDI when making DSF changes

In fact, if we are still in agreement that CDI is no longer being evolved, duplicating the code would
not be so bad since we would not change the CDI side of it anymore.
I realize that in reality, fixes are still applied to CDI though, so duplicate code is not a great thing.
Do we believe this trend will slow down?  That would be a way to help make this decision.

Marc

From: cdt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:cdt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of John Cortell
Sent: Tuesday, April 06, 2010 4:29 PM
To: CDT General developers list.
Subject: [cdt-dev] common gdb plugin

It seems to me we should have a plugin to house things that are gdb specific that  are needed equally by DSF-GDB and CDI-GDB. E.g., the extension that contributes the gdb catchpoint types to the GUI are currently in the CDI plugin. But they are needed for DSF-GDB. Putting it in org.eclipse.cdt.debug.ui isn't right since that should be backend agnostic. I imagine there are other things we could share between DSF-GDB and CDI-GDB but currently don't.

Thoughts?
John