Re: [cdt-dev] API breaking change in CDT debug

At 01:49 PM 3/15/2010, Dave Korn wrote:
On 15/03/2010 16:33, John Cortell wrote:
> [This happened Friday, before the M6 build]
>
> Eventbreakpoint (gdb catchpoint) constants that were in
> org.eclipse.cdt.debug.mi.core.cdi.model.EventBreakpoint have been move
> to org.eclipse.cdt.debug.core.model.ICEventBreakpoint, and many have
> undergone name changes for consistency reasons

  FTR, the API between the core platform and the CDT also changed:
IPresentationContext grew a 'getWindow()' method in 3.6M6 that wasn't there in
M5.  So there's a pretty thorough break between M5 and M6 all round.

Adding a method to a public class/interface doesn't break the API. The platform hasn't "officially" broken its API in about six years (though they've broken things at the behavioral level). Personally, I find that amazing. Says a lot about those developers--how careful and forward-thinking they are in developing their interfaces.

John

Back to the top