Re: [cdt-dev] questions about building and modifying CDT plugins

Yes, I read that on the "getting started" page. However as a newbie I find it confusing, conceptually. When one says "CDT HEAD requires Eclipse 3.6" or "CDT HEAD only works with Eclipse 3.6" my brain translates these as "The CDT plugins resulting from building the sources from CDT HEAD only work in conjunction with an Eclipse 3.6 installation." To me this says nothing about what is required to *build* said sources and I ASSumed that you can use an older Eclipse installation to generate the plugins from a CDT HEAD checkout. After all, either the sources from CDT HEAD build or they don't, and in my naivete, whether they do or not seems to have more to do with the Java compiler version than the Eclipse version. Please correct me if this is incorrect.

Obviously, I am not at all familiar with the common workflow of CDT development. What I want to do is checkout org.eclipse.cdt.make.core, apply a patch, build it, then export it from this RCP/PDE Eclipse installation into the target CDT Eclipse installation (where I am experiencing the issue that needs to be patch). And then, hopefully, find a nice way to package the modified CDT for use in my organization...

Would your recommendation be to just use HEAD 3.6 whatever for all of the above Eclipse versions? I would prefer to stick to public releases wherever possible. My plan was to use Eclipse 3.5.2 for both my plugin build environment and my target C++ build environment, but I don't know how or where to find the right Version/Branch of CDT sources that will be compatible. Any suggestions?

Thank you so much for your time and knowledge,