Re: [cdt-dev] Build Update

On 3/2/2010 10:48 PM, Doug Schaefer wrote:
BTW, I find CMake's CDT project generator weird. We've always claimed the .cproject format and contents to be internal interfaces which could change at any time. And you have a chicken/egg situation. If you are using the CDT with your project, you'll already have these files created. At any rate, I'd prefer to use CMake as a Makefile generator only.
Probably using CMake in that capacity is the best way to implement it. That way I do not have to actually have CDT running if I want to do a quick build from the command line (like if I was SSH'ed into my OS X box).

Typically one would use CMake to generate the IDE project files. Then "Double click" the project file in order to Launch the IDE and load the project. CDT does not work this way at all and you end up with like you stated. Do I launch CDT first then do CMake or CMake then Eclipse? I think the general consensus is that when starting from a clean project directory (which MUST be located in the workspace), you would create the build directory, use CMake to generate the CDT files, switch to CDT, then use "Import Project" to import the project into your workspace. Not better, not worse, just different. QtCreator is not much better. It leaves project files sprinkled all throughout my source directories which becomes messy when something like CVS/SVN/Git is used.

--
Mike J.

Back to the top