RE: [cdt-dev] Improve Indexer on large project

... so after all you were running low on virtual memory.
Markus.

From: cdt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:cdt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Toan Pham
Sent: Thursday, February 18, 2010 7:05 PM
To: CDT General developers list.
Subject: Re: [cdt-dev] Improve Indexer on large project

Dear Markus and others,

* workspace on local disk?
   Yes

* running low on virtual memory?
   No

* attempting content assist while indexer or a search is running? If so is it faster otherwise?
   No

* do you use multiple projects with project references amoung them? If so, is it faster with a single project?
   No

* do you use a prebuilt index?
   No.

My project size is 3.9 gig after running make.  (ps. i do not want to run make clean b/c it takes too long to build my project from scratch again).  When i run full index, while the indexer is running it reported that there are 8,459 source files.  I do not see anywhere in which the indexer reports the number of identifiers, declarations, etc.....

Also, i found out why it was taking too long for content assistance to run.  The default heap size for eclipse is only 50Megs.  I changed the default heap size to 700M in the /usr/lib/eclipse/eclipse.ini file and that did not effect anything, and that was when i started this thread thinking that the heap size has been pre-allocated.  Until recently, I then set the default heap size using params "-vmargs -Xmx800M" and eclipse is 30 times faster.    Thank you everyone for helping,

Thanks,

Toan