[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: [cdt-dev] Improve Indexer on large project
- From: Doug Schaefer <cdtdoug@xxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2010 15:59:36 -0500
- Delivered-to: email@example.com
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:in-reply-to:references :date:message-id:subject:from:to:content-type; bh=/+YGMe3uaSh0Zj3orxdXtm4UMUClm7HmMVDg8MdnVNM=; b=Y87uXTGe3LK7kExKofRTd5y9vOWHC+kDh7Ld9V+ybvjHgrCxgYGvV6OmO2x5C052ua 05mek5z58Ph/2XHR9zduAf8oKrBvVU8wvIw2COhn1dm1slE47YPQOYmDESG+gkyBZXFK iKUQ9x00iVANBuNL1WD3pZ/uHMfmm/v7oyR34=
- Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=nofws; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:date:message-id:subject:from:to :content-type; b=hKmdzqA4JL2K/p5Mq13+DSN8eEkCFC1RxaYWkWrc4IzeTPwtwcX3W89HmbLeVCADsQ KzYTZSgmuefVKAWVEp9KS5/mztd/V+gcxhbWuICfa9LrqhkgezBoE+2NLrqTKfxUh89A rPNeTqdSTKarAQG16qPgLb8K//3+I2ZW+pRIs=
The time to index is independent of the lookup time for auto completion. Indexing is done as you save files or on import of existing files. Changing indexing strategies won't help you if the look up is too slow. Unless our database look up is too slow, but it's built for speed and something like ctags is likely to be really slow (and highly inaccurate since it doesn't do a real parse).
Is the content assist always slow or is it in only certain files? If it's always slow (i.e. in every file in your project), then it points to a problem in the database. If it's only in certain files, then it's a problem in CDT's parser used to determine the context of the assist.
On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 3:30 PM, Toan Pham <tpham3783@xxxxxxxxx>
I am working with a large project and find that the
eclipse's indexer takes a long time (10 secs or more) to look for auto
I do not know what happen to it; probably the
algorithm for the indexer is inefficient. I am not sure if anyone has
thought of the following methods
to improve performance on intelli-sense feature:
Use Ctag database - Having the ability to load a ctag database (similar
to a feature in Ajunta) and index based on the ctag database only. I
can imagine this is a nice must-have feature because it speeds up
eclipse and also making eclipse more valuable.
2. Path Filter indexer - Having the ability to filter out
directory paths that the indexer should not be indexing would also
speed things up.
I like eclipse and hope that developers are
improving the indexer in any way. These are my thoughts and hope that
they'll consider them.
cdt-dev mailing list