From: cdt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:cdt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Marc Khouzam
Sent: Sunday, February 07, 2010 1:33 AM
To: CDT DEV (cdt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx)
Subject: [cdt-dev] Fixing some Debug feature-parity bugs

(I had sent this to cdt-debug-dev by mistake)

Hi,

recent email discussions about the CDT's default debugger integration has led to the fact that it would be nice to switch the default to DSF-GDB for Helios, but that we need to get closer to feature-parity with CDI-GDB.

We also agree that new debugging features are not going to be done for CDI, so I think we need to start building momentum for DSF-GDB so as to get more contributions and get the whole CDT debugging to continue getting more new features.  This will also benefit any DSF-based integration as DSF will be given more attention.

So, let's take the bull by the horns and get some feature-parity bugs fixed.
The bugzilla list of 29 bugs is shown below, taken from http://bit.ly/avphMO

If we want to actually see some progress, we need people to reply to this mail an agree to take care of some bugs, even if only a single one to start.

I'll get the ball rolling by committing to fix the following 7 bugs myself:

http://bugs.eclipse.org/242943 [breakpoints] [cdi] While GDB is running, we cannot make breakpoint commands http://bugs.eclipse.org/248610 [menu][memory][cdi] Add a menu action to open memory view for a given variable.
http://bugs.eclipse.org/249162 [run control][cdi] Add support for "Set PC to here" operation.
http://bugs.eclipse.org/249165 [run control][cdi] Add support for "Resume at Line" action
http://bugs.eclipse.org/249169 [detail][cdi] Add support for alternative expression evaluation in detail pane.
http://bugs.eclipse.org/219203 [variables][cdi] Variables view should allow variables to be cast to a type.
http://bugs.eclipse.org/202354 [launch][cdi] Support Environment tab in local launch

These as the other filled bugs about feature-parity that others should look at:

http://bugs.eclipse.org/248587 [breakpoints][cdi] Support "Event' Breakpoints.
http://bugs.eclipse.org/248606 [menu][breakpoints][cdi] Add support for toggling watchpoints in the variables and expressions views.
http://bugs.eclipse.org/248595 [breakpoints][cdi] - Add support pending breakpoints introduced in GDB 6.8.
http://bugs.eclipse.org/231883 [console][cdi] Inferior does not print to console when a PTY is not available
http://bugs.eclipse.org/159958 [symbols][cdi] Integrate symbols service with CDT modules view.
http://bugs.eclipse.org/235747 [registers][cdi] Allow user to edit the register groups.
http://bugs.eclipse.org/237560 [variables][cdi] Ehance variables view for feature parity with CDT.
http://bugs.eclipse.org/248593 [launch][cdi] Add a JTAG-specific launch.
http://bugs.eclipse.org/249220 [signals][cdi] Add support for the Signals view.
http://bugs.eclipse.org/249223 [signals][cdi] Add support for "Resume without signal" action.
http://bugs.eclipse.org/274951 [cdi] Add Watch action to C/C++ Editor
http://bugs.eclipse.org/248627 [debug view] [cdi] Add an option to show full paths for the stack frame source location.

I believe the ones below are not show-stoppers and therefore lower priority, but not everyone may agree with this:

http://bugs.eclipse.org/264895 [console][cdi] Visible console should match debug selection
http://bugs.eclipse.org/207582 [variables][expressions][cdi] In views, chirldren of arrays should be grouped when more than 100 http://bugs.eclipse.org/219040 [variables][cdi] Variables view should show globals (or should it?)
http://bugs.eclipse.org/219202 [variables][cdi] Variables view should use icons to represent types.
http://bugs.eclipse.org/267209 [launch][cdi] Refresh project when launch process terminates
http://bugs.eclipse.org/269101 [variables][cdi] In no-columns mode, it's impossible to change the a variable's value.
http://bugs.eclipse.org/271795 [debug view] [cdi] Inferior should be visible, and shown terminated in post mortem launch