Re: [cdt-dev] Do we really need a refresh in Debug View?

Would you argue that the refresh capability in the projects/resources/etc view also be removed? It's basically the same idea. Often, you use that refresh action because they've changed the file system outside of eclipse. But sometimes you need to use it even when you haven't, because some activity has screwed up Eclipse's view of the file system. Either way, the refresh button is very handy.

Back to the debugger situation. It's possible that something outside the CDT debugger can change the target state...maybe the user has broken out to the run-control layer (say, via a shell) during a debug session, and has modified registers or  memory. More likely is the scenario where there's a specialized feature/view in a commercial debugger that modifies memory in a way that does not propagate to the rest of the views. This may not be a bug but just a limitation. Like I said, if the user is doing basic debugging, then he should never have to use the refresh action. I agree with you that if he does, that would constitute a serious bug. But for advanced debugging, the out-of-synch scenario is pretty likely, and having that refresh button is a big help. Desktop debuggers fall into the "basic debugging" category. Embedded debuggers fall into the "advanced" one. My guess is CDT is used more in the embedded world than the desktop one.

John