Re: [cdt-dev] Do we really need a refresh in Debug View?

I agree with you that the reuse of the icon is confusing and should be changed. As for whether you can submit a bugzilla/patch to remove it: absolutely; you certainly can. I can predict with high confidence, though, that it won't be accepted. Generally speaking, committers don't develop useless features. If it's in there, I assure you there's a reason for it, and probably a good one. Before considering a patch to remove an action, a good first step is to discover what the action does and why someone felt it was an important capability.

The action invokes the IRefrehAllTarget interface, which is documented as follows:

A retargetable action target which allows a debugger to refresh all of its active views with fresh data from the debug target.

This capability is very useful. While a debugger should be smart and try to update as much as possible automatically, coherency between the many features/views of a debugger is never going to be 100% reliable. For example, there will be cases where the user does something in one particular view that affects data being displayed in another view, and because of the complexity of the relationship, or because of performance considerations, that second view gets out of synch with the target--perhaps others, too. For this reason, it's important that the user have the ability to tell the debugger to toss out all cached information and retrieve (and display) the latest target state. In practice, the action is probably not used all that often. Certainly not when just doing basic debugging.

This is very similar to how Refresh works in views that display workspace resources. You can't rely on Eclipse always being in synch with the file system, so sometimes you need to tell it to synch up.

John