Re: [cdt-dev] Pretty printer bug number

On Saturday 09 January 2010 04:10:46 Marc Khouzam wrote:

> Hi Terry.
>
> > Marc, this is nice!  I'm seeing the pretty printed display of strings, maps, vectors, etc.  This is going to make a lot of people happy.
> > Are the plans to commit this to only the 3.6 branch, or is there any chance it will be in 3.5.2 as well?
>
> That is a good idea.  It is a small enough patch.  Could you make the request on the bug so it does not slip between the cracks?
>
> > Have you given thought to what it would take to be able to toggle the actual variables between a pretty-printed view and a raw view?
> > It means completely avoiding use of the -var-list-children MI command, since that still reports the raw format.
> > Would it be easy to inject an alternate handling of variables that issued the cli print command and interpreted its results?
>
> Actually, MI does support pretty-printing but it requires some special request from DSF-GDB to turn this on.
> I don't think it would be very hard, but I've been so busy with so many other things that I didn't have time to figure
> out what those MI changes are.  They are all documented in GDB... Someone just needs to take the time to read it and digest it.
> If someone from the community could try making some headway on it, that would speeds things up.

Note that trying to bypass MI, and it's -enable-pretty-printing, is 100% guaranteed to result in utterly
broken frontend, for the same reason that -enable-pretty-printing is introduced in the first place.
If you try to pretty-print, via CLI, an std::vector that is not initialized, Python code might
not return in any reasonable time.

- Volodya

Back to the top