Re: [cdt-dev] Support for Altivec Vector types in the CDT parser?

Aha, the parser found in org.eclipse.cdt.core.lrparser.xlc

Just as a note, its deeply non-obvious (to me at least!) that CDT has more than 1 C++ parser from reading the wiki pages at http://wiki.eclipse.org/CDT/cdt-core , http://wiki.eclipse.org/CDT/designs and http://wiki.eclipse.org/CDT/User/NewIn60, http://wiki.eclipse.org/CDT and http://wiki.eclipse.org/Getting_started_with_CDT_development

I have already been working on extending the default CDT parser; I'll see if I get it to accept __vector and __pixel.

Thanks,
George

Mike Kucera wrote:

Your assumption is incorrect. The CDT project contains its own implementation of the XL C/C++ parser, which is completely independent of the XLC compiler. It integrates with CDT just like the default parser does, it builds an AST and works with the outline view and everything else. You don't need to be doing your builds with xlc to use the parser. And since the xlc compiler tries to be compatible with gcc the parser has support for most gcc extensions.

Having said that, the XLC C++ parser does lag behind the default CDT parser in a few areas. For example it doesn't support parsing declarations in inactive code blocks. Also the altivec support is purely syntactic, CDT does not actually recognize vector types and so they will not be considered when doing overload resolution. Therefore it still makes a lot of sense to add alitivec support to the main parser. In the meantime you can either set up some macros so that the vector keyword is ignored or you can use the XLC parser to get by.

Mike Kucera
Software Developer
Eclipse CDT/PTP
IBM Toronto