[cdt-dev] CDT and Qt Creator

Hi CDT community,

I'm responsible for the tools strategy at the Symbian Foundation.  Like the Eclipse Foundation, Symbian depends on the contributions from open source communities to drive its mobile device platform technology forward.

I'm curious if you have any thoughts about one of the challenges we're facing with understanding/determining the direction for Symbian C++ development tools.

There are two open source communities vying for the Symbian C++ developer - Qt Creator and Carbide (based on CDT).

Carbide's investments have been primarily focused on adding features to give more power to device creators. While it has become very feature-full, it has also become very complex and hard to learn, especially for developers that want to just build simple mobile apps.

Qt Creator is a targeted C++ development environment with a big emphasis on usability.  For example, it has rigorous hurdles to add a button or menu item. Now, it is rapidly adapting to improve its mobile development capabilities.

Thus, we currently have a fragmented C++ developer story at Symbian.

It is unlikely that Qt Creator will ever support the rich set of features that Carbide currently provides to the power user.

Are there any initiatives will enable CDT based IDEs to lower its learning curve and better support the needs of a simple C++ application developer?

Thanks,
Paul

--
Paul Beusterien