Re: [cdt-dev] Funny character encoding/translation

I am finally digging into this again. Thanks to some help (Thanks, Greg)
I have it fixed!

The problem was, I was launching eclipse on the Mac from the command line and the LANG value there is en_US.UTF-8 which is passed thru to Eclipse and CDT.
Thus if I leave a semicolon off a c source line, for instance, I see this in the problems view:
expected ‘;’ before ‘return’
If LANG is unset, and leave the semicolon off, I see:
expected ';' before 'return'
So it appears that the single quotes are translated incorrectly. (You were right, Daniel!)

If I launch from the Eclipse.app icon in from Mac's Finder, the problem goes away.
If I echo $LANG from within eclipse it's then empty.

So I can reliably make the problem come and go using Preferences > C/C++ > Environment.
There I set LANG to en_US.UTF-8 (what it was from cmd line environment) then the problem comes back when i launch from Finder.
So launching from the command line, I can UNset it there (hit "Undefine" button for that env. variable which shows its value as !<UNDEFINED>! )
to fix it.

This is exactly what Daniel was telling me - but my confusion was that Greg's LANG var was the same as mine (en_US.UTF-8)
and he didn't have the problem, which always confused the issue. He was launching from Finder, and I was launching from
the command line, which of course takes the LANG variable with it.

Just wanted to close this thread with the solution I found.
Hallelulia! Now my CDT demos (upcoming one for UPC!) won't contain so many hieroglypics!

...Beth

Beth Tibbitts (859) 243-4981 (TL 545-4981)
Eclipse Parallel Tools Platform http://eclipse.org/ptp
Mailing Address: IBM Corp., Coldstream Research Campus, 745 West New Circle Road, Lexington, KY 40511

Inactive hide details for Daniel Jacobowitz ---06/19/2009 04:29:40 PM---On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 10:44:36AM -0700, Eric Hildum wDaniel Jacobowitz ---06/19/2009 04:29:40 PM---On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 10:44:36AM -0700, Eric Hildum wrote:

          Daniel Jacobowitz <drow@xxxxxxxxx>
          Sent by: cdt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

          06/19/2009 04:29 PM

          Please respond to

cc

Subject

Re: [cdt-dev] Funny character encoding/translation

On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 10:44:36AM -0700, Eric Hildum wrote:
> I suspect that what you are seeing are VT100 terminal codes for bolding the
> keyword. (Afraid I have given away my age there ;-).

Actually, they're the UTF-8 curly single quotes.

Beth, I don't know how to fix it in Eclipse, but it may be showing up
for you and not for others if you have locale variables (LANG, LC_ALL,
or however Mac OS does it) set to UTF-8 and Eclipse is expecting
something else (ASCII, cp1252, ISO-8859-1... you tell me :-).

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery