Re: [cdt-dev] CDT 6.0 help - need developer docs too!

For each cdt excetion point a little example in the wiki would be great.
I did once here: http://wiki.eclipse.org/HowTo_extend_CDT_with_custom_file_templates
Exsepcially the Managed Build System Extensibility Document needs an update.
I dont know where's the best place to publish.
Sincerly
Patrick

Beth Tibbitts schrieb:

Yes that's also sorely out-of-date.
Can you help?
First, open a bugzilla bug
For example, when you figure out what's changed, update the existing docs and file a patch in the bugzilla bug We could start a wiki page to assimilate the info, that's probably easier for folks to contribute to -- altho, there is already a good bit of wiki info. I know there are many parts missing in the developer docs, it only gets fixed if folks contribute. Sometimes being a person in need can motivate you to (motivate others to) get it done!

Whatever you did figure out, in lieu of the developer docs, please pass along what you learned to others
by contributing your knowledge!

...Beth

Beth Tibbitts (859) 243-4981 (TL 545-4981)
Eclipse Parallel Tools Platform http://eclipse.org/ptp
Mailing Address: IBM Corp., Coldstream Research Campus, 745 West New Circle Road, Lexington, KY 40511

Inactive hide details for Nicolas Musset ---06/17/2009 10:06:31 AM---Beth Tibbitts wrote: I'm working thru the CDT 6.0 help to Nicolas Musset ---06/17/2009 10:06:31 AM---Beth Tibbitts wrote: I'm working thru the CDT 6.0 help to make sure it makes sense for newbies.

                        *Nicolas Musset <musset@xxxxxxxxxxx>*
                        Sent by: cdt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

                        06/17/2009 10:06 AM
                        Please respond to
                        "CDT General developers list."
                        <cdt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

cc

Subject

Re: [cdt-dev] CDT 6.0 help

Beth Tibbitts wrote:

            I'm working thru the CDT 6.0 help to make sure it makes
sense for newbies.
What about CDT 6.0 developer guide for newbies?
I'm currently working on a CDT-based plug-in and almost all of the developer guide (api reference and extension points) is too old to be useful.

Nicolas Musset

            There are several cases of wording and label/dialog names
            matching old versions of CDT, and some misleading stuff.
            I'm fixing that, hopefully there's time for another build.

            There are two walk-thrus of sample projects, one is
            managed build but the other is half describing that, half
            describing a Makefile project.
            I'm fixing it to be a pure makefile project. It's a good
            example basically, i'm just fixing it up to be consistent
            and match CDT 6.0.

            But one thing that really bothers me is that for a simple
            helloworld Makefile example, where you enter the main.cpp
            and type in the makefile per the example (the title in the
            help is "Creating a project" but I'm changing it to
            "Creating a makefile project")
            if you bring up the debugger, it does not find the src.
            (The debug config also does not select a debugger, which
            is odd, but i can inform the user to select "gdb/mi" and
            they are on their way.)
            The missing source is really bothersome, new users
            shouldn't see that when the source is right there.

            I have tried this on Windows/cygwin, and Mac.
            I was using platform SDK RC3 (on Windows) and latest CDT
            build. I'm downloading RC4 just to make sure.

            I tried it a couple more times, and now it seems to be
            working (on Mac anyway). I don't think i did anything to
            change its behavior.
            Any idea why this simplest case is confusing? at least at
            first?
            I'll test more after lunch.