RE: [cdt-dev] Breaking the Makefile APIs

> [alain] I am doing some work on the Makefile parser, I do not think, at this point, folks care too much about this, so I intend to break the API (and probably will do it again 8-).

Yes, we care.  A few of our products depend on the Makefile APIs (from CDT 5.0, though) to read and modify Makefiles.  These plugins do provide API, so please consider there may be a number of clients silently depending on it.  ;)

> [elena] In this case design paper on wiki would be usefull...

I would second this.  It would be good to have a heads-up about what kinds of changes to expect when we migrate to newer versions of CDT.

BTW, we didn't really encounter huge problems using the 5.x Makefile APIs, though we needed some utility classes to make modifications easier (e.g., "add a new directive after this existing directive",  "add a command to this rule", "modify the dependencies of this target", etc.).  What kinds of changes are involved in your rewrite?

-- Ed

Back to the top