RE: [cdt-dev] Breaking the Makefile APIs

I think you should post a patch to a bugzilla so people can review it. If we can help it, it would be better to get to see the API and suggest changes before it goes in rather than find out something needs to change later and have to do more post-freeze changes.

Personally my concern, coming from the remote tools scenario, is what will blow up if I try to use your new editor, whereas I know the old one works in my scenario. I think the best way to get a sense for that would be to see a patch in order to review/test it.

===========================
Chris Recoskie
Team Lead, IBM CDT and RDT
IBM Toronto
Inactive hide details for "Alain Magloire" <alain@xxxxxxx>"Alain Magloire" <alain@xxxxxxx>

          "Alain Magloire" <alain@xxxxxxx>
          Sent by: cdt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

          04/28/2009 06:56 PM

          Please respond to

cc

Subject

RE: [cdt-dev] Breaking the Makefile APIs

On
> Behalf Of Elena Laskavaia
> Sent: Tuesday, April 28, 2009 4:44 PM
> To: CDT General developers list.
> Subject: Re: [cdt-dev] Breaking the Makefile APIs

Bonjour,

> What exact API you are talking about? We are past API freeze for this
> release.

I am referring to the API of the Makefile parser (core.makefile and
core.makefile.gnu), those changes will have side effects on the Makefile
editor, for example.

I certainly do not mind to wait, if you are close to a release, it will
give me some time to cleanup the code even more, but breakage will be
inevitable.

> Alain Magloire wrote:
> > Bonjour,
> >
> > I am doing some work on the Makefile parser, I do not think, at this
> > point, folks care too much about this, so I intend to break the API
(and
> > probably will do it again 8-).
> >
> > This is part of a side project that I am doing for a more complete
> > Makefile builder, i.e. contrarily to the managed builder where the
> > Makefile is auto-generated (i.e. should not be modify by the user)
> >
> >   Managed-builder(Save all the settings) ---(Generating)--->
Makefile